The Lewis and Clark Expedition
Answer the guiding questions on your own paper.
1. According to Thomas Jefferson, how were Lewis and Clark supposed to treat the Native Americans they met?
2. According to the diary entry, why did one of Lewis and Clark’s men kill a Native American?
3. Why do you think Lewis left the medal around the dead Native American’s neck?
4. According to this article, why has the history of Lewis and Clark been one-sided?
5. According to this article, what were some of the long-term outcomes of Lewis and Clark’s journey on Native Americans?
6. Based on these two passages, how would you describe the relationship between Sacagawea’s family and Lewis and Clark?
7. What term did Lewis use to address the Otoe? What does that suggest about how he viewed them?
8. In the speech, Lewis referred to a “great father” and “great chief.” Who was this? Why do you think Lewis used these terms?
9. What did Lewis say would happen if the Otoe disobeyed the “great father”? Why do you think Lewis said this?